Improve Facial Balance with Rhinoplasty for a Long Nose
The nose is one of the main focal points of the face. When the nose looks too long in relation to the rest of the features, it can cause the face to appear off balance. Many people who are unhappy with the proportions of the nose turn to rhinoplasty, or a “nose job,” to achieve their desired appearance.
At the Clinic of Facial Plastic Surgery, Dr. David A. Sherris specializes in rhinoplasty to address a wide range of nasal issues, including nose length. To find out if rhinoplasty for a long nose is right for you, contact our Buffalo, NY offices to schedule a consultation.
Creating a Proportionate Nose with Reduction Rhinoplasty
For those who wish to reduce the length of their nose, reduction rhinoplasty may be the most suitable option. Reduction rhinoplasty is an effective treatment for reducing the size, including the length of the nose, helping to improve facial proportions and balance. Reduction rhinoplasty may also be used to smooth out bumps on the bridge and minimize the appearance of flared nostrils.
The Reduction Rhinoplasty Procedure
When used to shorten the length of the nose, reduction rhinoplasty may be performed in an open or a closed approach. In both methods, small amounts of bone or cartilage may be removed to reduce the length of the nose and to reshape the nose.
- Open rhinoplasty: Open rhinoplasty is performed by making a small incision along the area between the nostrils, called the columella. From this incision, the skin is lifted, providing access to reshape and shorten the cartilage at the tip of the nose. Once the desired proportions are achieved, the tissue is replaced and the incision is closed.The incision line typical heals very well. Although not common scarring can occur, it is often minor and hidden on the underside of the nose.
- Closed rhinoplasty: Closed rhinoplasty is performed by making all incisions inside of the nose. Through strategically placed internal incisions, key structures of the nose may be accessed and adjusted to improve the size and shape of the nose. By making all incisions internally, an external incision line can be avoided. Additionally, closed rhinoplasty often results in less swelling and a faster recovery, however, less changes can be made to the nose with a closed approach.
Candidates for Reduction Rhinoplasty
Many people who are unhappy with the length and appearance of the nose can benefit from reduction rhinoplasty. However, not every one may be a candidate for surgery. Ideal candidates include:
- Those who are unhappy with the length or shape of their nose: Rhinoplasty can be used to reduce the length of the nose or improve the overall shape, helping those who are unhappy with their nose feel more confident and comfortable in their skin.
- Those with realistic expectations about rhinoplasty results: While rhinoplasty can enhance the appearance, there are some limitations to this procedure. Accordingly, patients who choose to undergo rhinoplasty should have realistic expectations about the results of surgery.
- Those who are healthy enough to undergo surgery: It is important for rhinoplasty candidates to be healthy and free of certain general health conditions, such as uncontrolled diabetes and heart disease, to limit the risk of complications.
Find out if Rhinoplasty Is Right for You
If you are unhappy with the length or overall appearance of your nose, rhinoplasty may be right for you. To find out if you're a candidate, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Sherris at your earliest convenience.