It is very common for people to be dissatisfied with certain aspects of their appearance. The nose is a particular area of the body that many people wish to improve. In fact, rhinoplasty is the second most popular plastic surgery procedure. Dr. David Sherris is a leading Buffalo plastic surgeon who specializes in facial plastic surgery. He is an expert when it comes to rhinoplasty surgery. When patients are unhappy with the appearance or function of the nose, Dr. Sherris can let them know if they are suitable rhinoplasty candidates.
If you think your nose could benefit from rhinoplasty surgery, you’re probably wondering if you’re a good candidate for the procedure. It is important for rhinoplasty patients to:
- Be in good health, both physically and mentally.
- Understand that rhinoplasty surgery can enhance the aesthetic of the nose but cannot be used to replicate the exact appearance of another person's nose or provide you with the “perfect” appearance.
- Have reached full growth and maturity of the nose area. Rhinoplasty surgery is popular for young adults, but patients should be at least 14 to16 years old to make sure the nose has stopped growing.
If you meet the above qualifications and would like to enhance the appearance of your nose, you may be a candidate for rhinoplasty. If so, Dr. Sherris can perform rhinoplasty to:
- Change the overall shape or appearance of the nose
- Alter the tip of the nose
- Remove a hump from the bridge of the nose
- Alter the size of the nostrils
- Straighten the nose
- Repair a collapsed nose
- Create a symmetrical appearance
- Address breathing problems or sinus issues
Whether you were born with these imperfections or have developed them over time as a result of aging or injury, rhinoplasty can help.
For Dr. Sherris’ patients in Buffalo, rhinoplasty can be completed in just one to two hours and is performed as an outpatient procedure. Depending on each patient’s needs, rhinoplasty may be performed as an “open” or “closed” rhinoplasty. These procedures are very similar but differ in the location of the incision. A closed rhinoplasty procedure is one in which the incisions are restricted to the inside of the nose, while an open rhinoplasty will utilize an incision on the outer area of the nose. In either case, Dr. Sherris will have access to the bone and cartilage so that the necessary alterations can be made.
Following rhinoplasty, you will wear a splint on your nose for seven days. This splint will keep your nose in place and protect it from injury during this important stage of recovery. You will probably require pain medication for at least the first 48 hours after surgery. Within a week you should feel well enough to return to work, but it is vital that you limit your physical activity and continue to protect your nose for at least six weeks following surgery.
Schedule an Appointment
The best way to determine if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty is to schedule an appointment with Dr. David Sherris. If you are a good candidate, Dr. Sherris can customize a surgical plan to help you achieve the ideal shape and size for your nose.