Easily Take a Breath of Fresh Air
Persistent cold-like symptoms, such as nasal congestion, coughing, and sneezing, can affect your overall quality of life. What you originally thought was a cold or possibly allergies may in fact be a more serious issue that requires medical attention. Sinusitis and chronic sinusitis are common conditions that can be treated through various methods, including medication or, in some cases, surgery. Dr. David Sherris is experienced in diagnosing serious, painful sinus conditions and performing sinus surgery to correct such issues at his Buffalo, New York practice, Clinic of Facial Plastic Surgery. The best way to learn whether you have sinusitis or chronic sinusitis is to meet with Dr. Sherris for an evaluation. Contact us today for more information, or to schedule an appointment.
Sinus Surgery for Chronic Sinusitis
Sinusitis occurs when the sinuses are infected or inflamed. There are certain warning signs that you should be aware of, and if present, you should seek immediate treatment. You may be prescribed antibiotics or other medications to help alleviate symptoms. However, in some circumstances, surgery may be necessary to adequately improve nasal airflow. The surgery will:
- Remove nasal obstruction
- Clear the nasal passageway
- Drain the sinuses
- Straighten a deviated nasal septum
The procedure typically lasts one to two hours, and is performed as follows:
- The patient is given general anesthesia, so he or she is completely asleep during the procedure.
- Using an endoscope, Dr. Sherris can easily view the inside of the nose.
- Any bone, tissue, mucous membrane, or other blockages are removed from the nasal passageway using special surgical instruments.
- A crooked septum will be straightened.
- In some cases, nose splints may be placed in the nose to maintain a more open airway.
Patients are generally required to return to our clinic every one to two weeks after the surgery for checkups and to have any dried blood or mucus taken out of the nose for proper healing. During the recovery period, patients will need to follow instructions given by Dr. Sherris, including:
- Pack the nose with gauze
- Take any prescribed antibiotics and steroid nasal spray
- Avoid any strenuous activity
- Keep nasal passages moist with saline washes and a humidifier
Candidates for Sinus Surgery for Sinusitis
Sinus surgery isn't necessary for everyone. Dr. Sherris will determine whether you are a candidate for the surgery during your consultation. Candidates are generally individuals who have:
- Been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis
- Already been given maximum medical treatment for four to six weeks
- Had a CT scan of sinuses after medical treatment to better diagnose recurring problems
- A sinus infection caused by fungi
It is important for patients to know that medication may still need to be taken after the surgery and often a second surgery may be necessary. Dr. Sherris will discuss your entire course of treatment in detail with you before proceeding.
Learn More about Sinus Surgery
The ability to breathe easily is something many individuals take for granted. If you are ready to eliminate uncomfortable symptoms associated with chronic sinusitis, Dr. Sherris and his talented team at Clinic of Facial Plastic Surgery are ready to help. We will make sure you know everything you need to know prior to beginning any treatment, and will do everything possible to make sure that you are comfortable and well taken care of throughout your treatment. To learn more about sinus surgery for chronic sinusitis, contact our Buffalo, New York practice today.
"It is my mission to provide our patients with the most knowledgeable, expert care available combined with an eye for artistry.”David A. Sherris, MD